The Niermann family was selling shoes and boots in New Orleans as early as the 1860's at Frank Niermann's shop at 616 Magazine Street and Peter Niermann's shop at 492 Poydras. In the early 1870's Peter (born 1822) moved to 510 St. Thomas Street and son Hermann Niermann (born 1858) worked with him in his shop which was also the family residence. Sometime in the late 1880's or early 1890's Hermann became owner of the store but the location was at Frank Niemann's old shop on Magazine. Hermann continued as the owner of the shop until he sold the business to Tracy & Wagner in 1894.
The advertising card measures 4 3/4" x 5" and dates back to circa 1890, it has been trimmed on one side otherwise it in Good condition.